Irish stew is something of a staple in our home. It’s simple to make, and fairly low-cost provided it is typically made with lamb neck chops and potatoes, which speak with the origins of the meal
With St Patrick’s Day nearby, we have actually chosen to put a brand-new spin the meal, utilizing a lamb shoulder for the protein, which is smoked initially, then braised in what will ultimately end up being the gravy and veggies of the meal.
The excellent news is, it’s still incredibly easy to make!
Irish Stew Ingredients
- 2kg lamb shoulder
- Lamb BBQ rub (we utilize Moonshine BBQ Lamb Rub)
- 2 onions, diced
- 2 carrots, cut into rounds
- 1kg potatoes, peeled and very finely sliced
- 1/2 cup plain flour
- 2 TBS tomato paste
- 2 beef stock cubes
- Bunch of parsley, sliced
- Bunch of mint, leaves selected and sliced
- 1 cup cold water
- 2 cups boiling water
Irish Stew Method
Prepare your kettle BBQ utilizing the snake technique, and position a water pan below the centre of the grill. Light a lots coals in a chimney starter and after that contribute to the front of the snake when prepared, and include cigarette smoking wood. We utilized cherry for this dish.
- Trim all the fat and sinew from your lamb shoulder
- Season well in Moonshine BBQ Lamb Rub or other lamb rub
- Place on the BBQ and smoke for 2 hours or up until internal temperature level is 165 F
- Prepare your veggies however dicing your onion, slicing your potatoes very finely and cutting your carrots to thin rounds
- Place 3/4 of the veggies on the bottom of a roasting meal, put the smoked shoulder on top of and leading with staying veggies
- Mix the flour with the tomato paste and 1 cup of cold water (usage cold so the flour does not clump), and blend together. You are trying to find a thick however smooth consistency
- Crumble in your stock cubes and include warm water, blending till the cubes are liquified.
- Add sliced parsley to the mix, blend once again and after that put over the meat
- Return the tray to the BBQ and cover with foil. Location the cover back on the kettle and cook for a more 3 hours
- After 3 hours inspect the meat, it must hurt enough to break off with a wood spoon. If the gravy is too thin, put the tray in the most popular part of the kettle without the foil to lower it.
- Once prepared, shred the meat off the bone utilizing 2 forks, stir the meat through the gravy and veggies
- Top with more sliced parsley and sliced mint to serve.