I had my very first Philly Cheesesteak about 20 years ago to the day, really in Philadelphia while on vacation. The unctuous mix of meat, cheese, and soft sauteed veg has actually stayed a preferred to this day.
Whilst this isn’t a standard cheesesteak dish, I believe it records the essence of it whilst providing it the BBQers spin.
The primary distinction is our usage of Beef Shin. While a cheesesteak is typically strips of a various cut of topside, the shin includes a layer of flavour intricacy to it and is completely matched with the provolone. Make certain to get the Picante provolone and not the dolce for included saltiness.
We’ve likewise left out the liquid cheese that you see on many of them. I’m not a big fan of processed items on food, so we’ve kept it genuine with simply the provolone.
Philly Cheesesteak Ingredients
- Whole shin or shank of beef (will be interchangeable at butchers– most suffice for osso bucco so you might require to purchase ahead)
- Beef Rub (like Moonshine BBQ Beef Rub)
- 1 LTR beef stock, warmed
- Long, chewy bread roll (standard cheesesteaks utilize sub rolls, if you can discover sub rolls they will do)
- 250 g provolone picante
- 1 brown online, cut in half and sliced
- Red and green capsicum, deseeded and sliced
Beef Shin Preparation
- Prepare your cigarette smoker to 275 F. We utilize the Weber Smokey Mountain with Heat Beads Coconut Shell briquettes and cherry wood.
- Trim the fat and sinew from the beef shin. It will be rather fatty, so hang around on this for a much better final result
- Season freely with your preferred beef rub Add your preferred beef rub (we utilize Moonshine BBQ Beef Rub) and let sit for half an hour
- Smoke for 4 hours, or till you more than happy with the bark.
- Place in a foil tray with hot beef stock and cover with foil.
- Cook for an even more 2 hours till the internal temperature reaches 210 F or it probes like butter
- Shred the meat off the bone and reserved
Philly Cheesesteak Method
- In a cast iron frying pan on your BBQ, cook sliced onions and capsicums in butter or ghee up until soft. Eliminate from the heat and reserved and if required reheat the meat
- Slice your roll lengthways and put on the grill plate to toast
- Melt shredded provolone on the BBQ plate, leading with the shredded beef and onion and peppers mix
- Toss to integrate till the cheese melts through the beef. Leading with more provolone if required
- Add the mix to the toasted roll, leading with some more shredded provolone and the other half of the roll and serve
CHECK THE VIDEO FOR THE FULL METHOD